Day 157: Dunwich

Fast and furious day in Mooloolaba. As nice as this town is, I need to get moving, not least because there is a weather system on its way that could trap me here for a week. Even though I've just arrived, there is a window between now and Saturday when I could get to Morton Bay. Once in there, it's sheltered motoring to the Seaway. Trouble is, there are things to do before I can go.

Up early and over to the laundry to wash the clothes. While I was about it I checked in with the marina. Next was fuel. I emptied both reserve cans into the man tanks, filled the cans, did the same again, and then refilled the cans for my reserve. I put some fresh water in to about half capacity (we keep it on this level to reduce weight). Then into town with a trolley for shopping. I don't need much - some cat food and people food - so one trip will do. Linda kindly offered to give me a lift back to the boat.

Something that women enjoy, apparently.
I spoke to Linda about leaving either 4pm today, or 6am tomorrow and she pointed out that Morton Bay is very tidal and it would be a good idea if I could catch a tide assist. I checked the tide tables and the best time to leave was about 10.30pm. Confirmed with Bill that this wasn't an insane idea and he reckoned is was pretty good. He also suggested a fairly straight course missing out the shipping channel, which adds miles to the trip.

Went to bed at 6pm for 4 1/2 hours and was out of the heads by 11 heading for Tangalooma. It was a very fast run with the current pushing me up to 8 knots at times. By the time I got to Tangalooma, if was still dark so, rather than try to anchor in what can be a crowded, tricky spot, I pushed on to Dunwich and was anchored up by 8 am.

Car ferry at Dunwich.
Location
Dunwich

No comments:

Post a Comment

Service Rainman Watermaker

Parts / Tools Engine oil: SAE 10W30. Most usefully in a 1l container with an integral spout. Spark plug: NGK CR5HSB, gapped to 60-70 micr...