Day 163: Currigee

Back at Currigee ready for tonight's exit. Passage plan says leave at midnight for a 24 hour passage to Coffs. Expecting the first few hours to be a bit bouncy until I round Point Danger, then a fast run with northerlies all the way. The plan has the seaway calming down at around midnight. Went to bed in the afternoon to try and get some sleep before leaving. I won't be sleeping much underway.

Update: I woke up around 5pm and checked the weather which suggested I could leave at 9pm. Checked with the Seaway Tower VMR and they told me the bar was calm right now. Woohoo, early exit.

Looks like an evening race going past.
2 hours out, heading for Point Danger and the port engine sputters and shuts down. I find lots of water in the CAV filter. Checked on deck and I had left the filler cap off the fuel tank and had been taking on sea water. This is a big problem. If I don't fix it quickly, I'll have to go back to the Gold Coast and I miss my weather window. Took me 1 1/2 hours to clean out the fuel filters and lines. I put two old filter elements on. Took a bit of purging but I got the engine started and it ran perfectly for the rest of the passage.

My passage companion.
Not much sleep single-handing. I got 15 minute snatches between horizon checks.

Location
Currigee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Service Rainman Watermaker

Parts / Tools Engine oil: SAE 10W30. Most usefully in a 1l container with an integral spout. Spark plug: NGK CR5HSB, gapped to 60-70 micr...