Day 61: Shaw Island

Windlass revisited. Took the top bits off again and cleaned out the grease I previously packed around the clutch. Had some hints that this part should be grease-free. Also had another go at getting some grease into the main shaft nipple. I wasn't sure I got any in there last time. Maybe it worked this time. I also took some readings from the wiring. The voltage on the breaker (14.2V) is the same as on the winch so there is continuity. Raising under load, the current peaks out at about 140A before tripping the breaker. This isn't right and I may need a new motor. I checked under the end cap - no dirt buildup, brushes not worn or broken - so it might be the windings. The best way to check is to pull it off and get an auto-electrician to bench test it. If this keeps up, I may have to bite the bullet and order a new one.

Windlass head & 'Up' button. That grease-nipple got some attention.

Windlass head.

Windlass motor. Despite the outer coating of rust, the innards are in very good condition.

Windlass motor end cap. gives access to the brushes. These look good.

Useless Id plate. If I need parts for this winch, first I'm going to have to identify it.

Went ashore for a swim. Lots of shells in good condition on the beach.

This guy came and anchored out.

Location
Shaw Island

No comments:

Post a Comment

Service Rainman Watermaker

Parts / Tools Engine oil: SAE 10W30. Most usefully in a 1l container with an integral spout. Spark plug: NGK CR5HSB, gapped to 60-70 micr...