Day 63: Cid Harbour

Good day to tackle Whitsunday Peak. It's a 430m climb over 2.5km. It's a fairly cool day and it's not raining - time to pack a bag of drinks and chocolate, put in the walking shoes and get going.

Dedicated to Captain Cooke's journey through the islands.

Big fella.

This is described as a fairly difficult climb but the path is very well maintained. The most difficult part is the relentless climb, about 1 in 6.

First part of the climb is up a valley along a creek.

The path is well maintained with steps on the steeper parts.

The topless climber.

Took me about 1 1/2 hours to reach the top and it's well worth it. The highest peak in the island group, there are views back over the anchorage, to Hamilton in the south, and glimpses of Whitehaven Beach looking east.

Looking south from the summit. Hamilton in the distance.

Little fella.

Lazed around in the afternoon and did a spot of night fishing. Unusually for me, I got a few keepers - good enough for lunch, anyway.

Having got a reasonable haul, I wound in the last cast and just as it was coming in, a gust caught the dinghy and the fishing line got wrapped around the outboard. Bugger. Trying to free it, I walked along the transom to get a better angle, slipped and crashed off the hull and into the water. Managed to climb into the dinghy while the cats looked on. Looks like I hit my back on the hull - it's sore as hell and I didn't get a great night's sleep. Can't be doing things like this, I could cop a serious injury at my age, or drown! Tomorrow will be sore.
Location
Cid Harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment

Service Rainman Watermaker

Parts / Tools Engine oil: SAE 10W30. Most usefully in a 1l container with an integral spout. Spark plug: NGK CR5HSB, gapped to 60-70 micr...